Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Imaginative Encoding: Fun Ways to Remember Things

My educational theory and design instructor has us making more movies explaining learning methods and psychological theories. For this assignment we were to make a "photo essay" depicting scenes from the Cognitive Information Processing theory. I chose imagery and mnemonics as my theme and used the learning of Japanese characters as my example. I hope this video causes you think about the little tricks we use to help us learn new, and sometimes foreign, information. Enjoy:




I chose Japanese Kanji as my example for two reasons: 1) they are pictographic in nature, and 2) this is the way I really learned to read Japanese Kanji - at least the nouns. It's easy to see the chicken and the elephant in the two kanji below, all it takes is a little imagination.


No comments:

Post a Comment