Saturday, March 14, 2009

90 seconds

In one of my graduate education classes at Texas Tech University, my professor Dr. Hamman assigned a multimedia project. The assignment was to compare and contrast the developmental learning theories of the psychologists Piaget and Vygotsky. The only requirements for the project are that the pieces must have intro and exit music, and a voice recording discussing the two figures. And, oh yeah, the explanation can only be 90 seconds long. Here's the video I created. Maybe you'll learn something new.




This is the first video I've ever made on my own. I used Window Movie Maker that came with my 2003 PC. Aside from my computer freezing up on two occasions, the software was super easy to use, and, best of all, I never felt that my creativity was limited by the software's capabilities. Though some the slide transitions are bit choppy and the sounds levels are touch off, I'm really pleased with the video.

The course I'm taking is called "Instructional Theory and Design," and the title is an apt description of the course. Thus far we have studied the learning theories of Dewey, Popham, Vygotsky, and Piaget. By reading these theories about how people develop and learn, we are enacting Dewey's ideal of the "linking science" wherein educators study such theories in order to teach their students better. On the design side of the course, we've mainly dealt with how to present classroom material using self-made videos. My professor Dr. Hamman is a bit of a tech-head and he's trying to pass his passion for technology on to us students. The video "How We Learn" is my midterm project, and for the final project, each of us will make a longer podcast that will be entered into an educational podcast tournament.

Making videos about the class topics isn't the standard for assessing students' comprehension, but it's perfect for this class where we need to know about developmental theories and present those theories with multimedia projects. Creating your own videos is definitely an innovative to reach students and to challenge your own creativity; I just wish the process didn't challenge my computer's processor so much.

1 comment:

  1. Justin - nice work here. I think Phaedrus would be interested.

    ReplyDelete