Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I've been Schmapped!

One of my pictures of downtown Austin was recently selected by Schmap Online City Guides for their website! This fortuitous publication of one of my favorite pictures, though small (only 150 pixels to be exact), is a tremendously satisfying experience.

To the left is a screen shot from Schmap's website displaying my picture of Frost Tower in the top right corner.

The coolest part about this digital publication is that Schmap contacted me about the photo after finding it on Flickr. They emailed me saying that the picture was shortlisted for inclusion in their new Austin guide. About two weeks later it was selected and now flashes before visitors' eyes.

I took "Downtown" in early September while visiting my cousins in Austin, just after returning from Japan. I'm sure I looked like the stereotypical tourist, walking around downtown Austin taking pictures with my big Nikon (standard equipment for all dedicated tourists). A mesh khaki pocket vest would've completed the outfit, but I'll be damned if I wear that without a press pass.

Here is a larger version of "Downtown" complete with a link to my photostream on Flickr:

I took the shot with a Nikon D40 using a polarizing lens. The cloud pattern was not my doing, but being in the right place at the right time is, for better or worse, necessary for taking decent pictures.

So thank you Schmap for selecting my photo for your travel website. Everyone, keep on traveling!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the publication! That's great news indeed!! Next step is to get one of your posts noticed by the New York Times ;)

    ReplyDelete