Monday, December 8, 2008

Running of the Tumbleweeds!

It's a cold, windy, and dusty day here in Lubbock, Texas. Most people stay in their homes on nasty days like this one, but not me. I went out to film the west Texas treasures stirred awake by the winter wind: the tumbleweed! I took this video from the cab of my truck outside a car dealership just down the road from the house. I couldn't believe all the tumbleweeds that had collected on the west facing fence. For those of you who have never seen a tumbleweed, I hope you enjoy my little video.




After shooting the video I checked out the overrun fence for myself all the while taking pictures like a gawking tourist. I wasn't the only one outside taking pictures of these marvlous things, for right there next to me a woman shooting the action with her own digicam. I said "howdy" to her with a big smile and thought to myself, "I'm glad I'm not the only moron out here taking pictures of these things." She was so thrilled to see the tumbleweed mound, saying, "I'm from Houston and I've never seen a tumbleweed before. This is great!" I agreed, not having seen any tumbleweeds for almost 5 years myself.

We took turns taking pictures of each other standing in front of the tumbleweed pile. The picture below should give you some idea just how many tumbleweeds had blown from the fields.


The running of the tumbleweeds is just one of the many things I love about my native land: Texas.

1 comment:

  1. I just had to laugh when I saw this! My friends who are from California and Illinois had no clue what I was talking about when I told them, on a recent trip to Lubbock, my mirror was knocked off by a tumble weed. Now I can show them this and they will understand what a tumble weed is.. and how it could possibly have knocked my mirror off. Thanks Justin!

    ReplyDelete