Sunday, August 17, 2008

GTT!

In the 19th century, people from across America began writing GTT on the doors of their abandoned houses before immigrating to the greatest state in the union. That state is Texas of course. And that's where I'm writing from now, from Lubbock, Texas to be exact; home of many a legendary musician like Buddy Holly and the Maines family. Lubbock is my hometown where, before I went off to graduate school in Denver, Colorado, I lived for 20 years give or take a couple.

It's good to be back home after a long stay in Japan. Of course I miss the Japanese community I was a part of in Washimiya, Saitama, and I miss the feel of Japan- the sway of commuter trains, the sight of old bent-crooked women digging up radishes from the neighborhood garden, hell, just the sight and sound of Japanese people in general. I miss Japan, but I'm learning to readjust to life in Texas though I can feel the wave of reverse-culture shock swelling towards me.

I left Narita airport on Wednesday, August 6th at 6:00pm and arrived at Denver International Airport on Wednesday, August 6th at 6:00pm. Lookin' at the times you might think I teleported, believe me I wish I could have, and in a way I suppose I did, it's that old school form of teleportation where you spend 10 hours flying in a dark bucket then, after a 3 hour pause in San Fran, do the same thing again for 3 more hours into Denver.

In the upcoming postings I'd like to share with y'all my journey back to God's Country from Denver; let me tell you my own gone to Texas story.
________________

Photo of me by Neil Burrus at the Texas Sign just outside Texline, Texas (that's a lot of Tex'es) on Highway 64/87. Texline is a small town in Dallum County, the north westerner most county in the Texas panhandle.

1 comment:

  1. Good to see you again man. I hope to see your face here again soon.

    ReplyDelete